Tuesday 5 March 2013

Franki's 2 Week Challenge: March Day 1

I'm back, after spending a semi-relaxed weekend in North Wales I'm back to blogging… Starting with an up to date sketch!

I was talking to my fantastic friend Franki at uni about finding and improving my drawing style. She suggested I try a 2 week challenge in which I find a sketch by an artist I like and draw it once everyday. By the time the two weeks are over I should have improved my drawing style by at least 10%.

I would like to have a drawing style that kinda looks like Disney. So I wondered whose sketch I should try to emulate, there was one clear choice… The legend that is Mr Glenn Keane!


I decided to go with the Ariel sketch because it looked simple enough that even I wouldn't be able to mess it up. It's ok, but I can see where I have made some mistakes and I can't help thinking she looks more like Rapunzel from Tangled than Ariel.

Please comment and let me know where I'm going right and going wrong or if you have any hints and tips I can use. Thanks for looking, there'll be another update tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh this is already an improvement! Your shading is good and her face direction is spot on. Be careful with the eyes as they look alittle like she is cross eyed. Try using a hb pencil for the tiny detail like facial features so you don't over do the pencil lines :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was quite surprised, I didn't think it was going look this good. Think I'll try it with just pencil tomorrow, see how it goes. Thanks for the tips, already looking forward to drawing it again! I'm such a nerd :P

      Delete